Chat rooms: Tips for Socializing During Times of a Pandemic and Quarantine
Choose Your Chat Room
The right place to find men and women of all ages who are looking to connect via online chat.
Socializing During a Pandemic and Quarantine
Keeping yourself healthy in body and mind will help you to be your best self even in hard times. Feeling alone? Visit our chat rooms
Human beings are social creatures and suffer greatly from being isolated from one another. This includes friends, family, and even colleagues at work. With the rapid spread of the COVID-19 virus around the world, governments have been forced to take drastic measures locking down their populations and confining them to their homes.
It is hoped that by forcing people to stay in their homes and avoiding human contact this will help to stop the spread of this deadly virus, however, the social and personal impact of these moves has not yet been fully understood.
Human beings need contact with each other, not only to enjoy the company of others but also to validate themselves and fully understand their own place in the world.
Such a large-scale lockdown of civilian populations is completely unheard of and many people are struggling to come to terms with the inevitable isolation and loneliness that comes along with it.
This is particularly the case for people who live alone or maybe elderly and depend on the company of others for support, comfort, and simple conversations about the weather and such.
Just getting out of your house and having a chat with a neighbor or a friend can have a huge impact on your mental and physical health.
The Benefits of Social Interaction.
There are various scientifically-proven benefits that suggest positive correlations regarding social interaction and our health. Not only do we literally feel better when we are around each other because of the buzz of conversation and the joy of sharing experiences, but social interaction also has physical and mental health benefits too!
- Social interaction can actually boost your immune system! Interacting with people puts your body in contact with all kinds of viruses and bacteria which your immune system uses as a kind of ‘practice’. This will strengthen your immune system and boost your overall health.
- Interacting with other people helps to keep your mind busy and sharp, improves your wit, and supercharges your creativity by coming into contact with new ideas and opinions.
- Studies show that people who are more sociable may live longer.
- Being social helps to combat depression and other mental health issues.
A lot of the benefits that come from social interactions are based in the mind, and so the actual physical contact and interaction only play a secondary role for us. This is not always obvious but just think of the feeling you get when you receive an email from a long-lost friend or a message from your loved one!
Not only does it feel great, but it also has great effects on your physical and mental health in the long term.
So how can I get the benefits of social interaction if I’m self-isolating or under lockdown during the Coronavirus pandemic?
• Social Media.
Everybody knows about social media but have you ever really got ‘into’ it? It’s an amazing ecosystem of ideas and opinions but it’s also a great source for inspiration! As well as making new friends and chatting on Facebook you can also join groups of like-minded people that share some of your interests.
Try joining a gardening group and learn about how to plant a great garden or a Facebook reading group and share your ideas about the book you’ve just read.
If you really get involved with these groups on Facebook, you can find true companionship while you learn about the world and express yourself at the same time. Keeping your mind busy is paramount right now.
Online chat rooms and forums are a wonderful place to find other people who share your interests. Talk about politics, what’s going on in the world, or any topic you can imagine! It’s easy to find a good chat room and once you arrive, you’ll find live conversations and plenty of back and forth banter to keep you entertained for hours.
• Dating Sites.
Not all dating sites are based on the idea of meeting up, and many encourage conversation and getting to know one another. Join a good dating site and meet someone who might become the love of your life! It’s a fun way to meet new people and it really does make you feel better (if you’re single!) to talk to lovely potential partners.
Leading dating sites are reporting an upswing in website traffic of around 20% - use this time in isolation to make more meaningful or deeper connections
Keeping Fit and Healthy is essential for good mental and physical health.
Staying fit and keeping your body healthy is very important to maintain your mental and physical well-being. But if you’re asking how you can keep in shape while you’re at home luckily there are many ways!
Here’s our top ideas to help keep you in Tip Top Shape while you’re stuck indoors!
- Try a YouTube aerobics class. There are many videos that are free on YouTube which you can follow along with and keep yourself healthy and focused. From yoga, to aerobics, building up rock-hard abs and online classes on demand, there’s something for everyone!
- Stair stepping is a good option if you live in a multi-storied home. Simply step up and down either one stair or two, using alternate feet. You’ll strengthen your leg muscles and as well as helping your cardiovascular stay healthy.
- Put on your favorite music and have a serious dancing session! Why not let your hair down and dance to your favorite tunes? You can really burn some calories and keep yourself fit by dancing in your living room. Create a mix of your top tunes and go for it.
- Give your house the spring cleaning of its life! It might not be as fun as dancing, but cleaning can be a good form of exercise. Once you’ve thoroughly cleaned your living space you will feel great and can sit back and enjoy the environment.
- If you have an outdoor space, take up gardening. Digging, moving things around, and getting everything in place in your garden is a good workout, and you’ll also get some fresh air and whether you grow food or flowers, the satisfaction is unbeatable.
- Try an @Home online HIIT class, these virtual online classes are booming right now, and they're free!
During these difficult times, it’s important to maintain our mental and physical health.
Even though things around us are changing fast and it may feel that we have no influence over things, we can still take control of our own mental and physical health.
See this unusual moment in time as an opportunity to take up a new hobby, meet new friends online, discover the benefits of meditation, take an online class – Groupon has up to 75% off some of their online courses, or get yourself in the physical shape you’ve always wanted to be in.
Every morning when you wake up, make the decision that today is going to be amazing. Focus on all the things you’ve always wanted to do and become really good at them. Take up a musical instrument, get regular fresh air, give support to other people, and truly be your best self!